Friday, November 22, 2013

Instructions: How to use “adb sideload” in Linux


This guild was written because I could not find a linux version a 'How to use "adb sideload"'. I wanted to load Android 4.4 without having to root my Nexus 7 2012.  I found a Windows version here.

One word of warning: If you don't understand this guild don't do it. I'm also not responsible for you bricking your Nexus or any other device.

1.  First, you need to install the latest Android SDK. [Android SDK]
  • This isn’t a guide on how to get the SDK installed or basic adb. There is a rule that needs to be added to udev for the Nexus 7. 
  • ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="d001", SYMLINK+="android_sideload", MODE="0666"
2.  Plug in your device to your Linux machine.  Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.

3.  To test that you have adb up and running, and that your device is recognized, open a command prompt.

4. Type the following”
"adb devices" in root. I found I was getting a "error: insufficient permissions for device" error trying to do the sideload as a normal user. Starting adb-server in root prevents this.
5.  You should get a serial number followed by “device.”
015d182f9a0aac28    device
6. If you see something along those lines, your adb is working properly, for now.

7.  Download the update.zip from Google to your PC that you would like to install on your Nexus.

8.  The file can be in any folder as long as adb is in the PATH

9.  Type the following:
  • adb reboot bootloader
10.  Your device will now reboot to the bootloader.

11.  Use Volume Down on your device to until you see “Recovery.”

12.  Select it with the Power button.

13.  Your device will boot to an Android logo with a exclamation mark.

14.  To jump past this, press Volume Up and Power at the same time.
  • This is not as easy as it sounds. It took me three times to do it right.
15.  You will now be in stock recovery.

16.  With Volume Down, highlight “apply update from ADB.” Press Power to choose it.

17.  Back to your PC, type the following command:
adb sideload <filename of update.zip>
  • I rename update files to something simple when I get them. I renamed the Android 4.4 update to KRT16S.zip , so my command was “adb sideload KRT16S.zip ”
18.  If your adb is working properly, you should see the file transfer to your device in adb.

19.  Once that finishes, your device will begin to update.

20.  Once it has finished, simply reboot and enjoy the update.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks this was useful, most guides skip a step or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this...!!
    i was trying to get back to ZenUI from RR ... and few steps here helped me get past my problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I'm french, and I want to know if I have understand how to use adb with linux mint.
    I will receive soon a zenfone 2 who have recovery in CN and firmware in WW. So, to have a clean phone, I need to do this:

    http://www.asus.com/zentalk/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14962&extra=page%253D1

    Where Have I to put files .img and .zip? In the folder where adb is? (For me, it's in usr/bin)

    And what about the command "sideload" and "fastboot". It's in the terminal of Linuxmint? Or in a shell terminal of QtAdb?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think that as long as you are in a working directory where the images are, it doesn't matter where they are. The post was originally written because I could only find direction for Windows and very limited directions for Linux. I hope life have answered your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think that as long as you are in a working directory where the images are, it doesn't matter where they are. The post was originally written because I could only find direction for Windows and very limited directions for Linux. I hope life have answered your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, any ideas if im getting 'cannot read' zip file?
    adb devices> working with sideload status.
    Please help, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete